- Put learning first. All programs should support student learning.
- Provide safe and secure environments, which promote and nourish student learning.
- Provide balanced instruction in math, English, science, and social studies with opportunities for enrichment and exploration through music, the arts, physical education, and a variety of other areas.
- Ensure students are functional, skilled readers by third grade and progress toward reading to learn.
- Promote diverse educational opportunities for middle and high school students which prepare them for higher education or skilled workforce entry.
- Expand student-centered learning opportunities by including project-based teaching strategies throughout the curriculum.
- Enhance open communication with all stakeholders within the school division and with the community at large.
- Meet full accreditation requirements from the Virginia Department of Education/Virginia Board of Education at all schools.